Model: [1992.8.]
--My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I had totally different ideas about how to proceed. (我的化学课题出问题了。在进展问题上,我与我的合作者意见完全不同。)
--You should try to meet each other half way. (你们应该相互妥协。)
15)on the dot 准时;正点
Model: [1992.8.]
--Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two in front of the theatre? (你和Amanda确实在差5分两点的时候到达剧院门口了吗?)
--Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我俩都准点到达。)
16)once and for all 最后一次;干脆
Model: [1996.1.]
--I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that music once and for all.(我要最后一次告诉我那个邻居把音乐声关小。)
--I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the polite route is the most effective. (我明白你为什么恼火。但我总觉得礼貌的方式是最有效的。)
17)out of earshot 不在听力所及范围
Model: [1995.10.]
--Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )
--Save your breath. He’s out of earshot. (省口气吧,他听不见。)
18)out of this world 非常好
Model: [1995.10.]
--Have you tried Susan’s apple pie? (你试过Susan的苹果派吗?)
--I got the last piece. And it was out of this world. (我拿到最后一块。好吃极了。)
19)play by ear 随机应变,视情形而定
Model: [1989.8.]
--Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation in political science tomorrow? (Marty,你在为明天的政治学演讲准备与众不同的材料吗?)
--Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion, I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那门课常常最后变成讨论。我决定视情形而定。)
20) ring a bell 令人想起某件事;听起来耳熟
odel: [1992.10.]
--That name just doesn’t ring a bell with me. (那个名字我一点也不熟。)
21)share a common outlook 有共同的观点
Model: [1991.1.]
--Jeff and Alan share a common outlook on life. (Jeff 和Alan对于生活有共同的观点。)
22)six of one and half-a-dozen of the other 半斤八两;没什么区别
Model: [1989.1.]
--I can’t decide whether to take anthropology or geology this term. (我决定不了这学期是选人类学还是地理课。)
--It’s six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. (两门无甚差别。)
23)stick around 在附近逗留或等待
Model: [1995.5.]
--Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (这么早就要走?我们刚准备要切蛋糕。)
--Sorry, I can’t stick around. (对不起,我不能继续待在这儿了。)
24)stick with 继续做,坚持
Model: [1996.8.]
--I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道这种新的冰激凌是什么味道?)
--I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃过,若我是你,我会继续吃以前爱吃的那种。)
25)straighten out 扯平;结清
Model: [1996.1.]
--I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night. Do you have change for a twenty? (我差点忘了。不久前的一个晚上我借了你10块钱,到现在还没还呢,你现在能找开20元的吗?)
--Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,现在不能。以后再结清吧。)
26)toss and turn (身体)翻来覆去(通常表示难以入睡)
Model: [1993.1.]
--Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我辗转反侧,怎么也睡不着)
27)turn one’s back (在别人遇到困难时)不愿帮助
Model: [1990.10.]
--He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借钱,他就会不理我。)
28)under the weather 身体不适,生病
Model: [1996.10.(26)]
--It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看见你真高兴,Mary。你好吗?)
--Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其实这两天我身子不大舒服。)

